8.05.2012

Tutorial on sea canvases!

I have finished my canvases and now I have a very simple tutorial on how to do them:


Supplies needed:
- Brushes
- Canvases, I got mine in packs of two on sale at a craft store
- Paint (I used latex exterior paint) either in one color or multiple 
depending on what you'd like the finished product to look like
- Pencils & erasers
- Bucket with water for brush washing
- Rag/paper towel to clean up drips
- Cardboard/drop cloth to work on

Directions
  • Figure out what you want to silhouette, I chose to do the background in color but you could do it the opposite way
  • Find images online to use for the figures
  • Either a.) freehand the outline LIGHTLY in pencil from the image or b.) print the image, cut it out and trace it LIGHTLY onto the canvas
  • At this stage it should look something like this:
This is Ed, the lobster.
  • Now just paint around the outline, carefully
  • Apply coats as needed, I used exterior latex paint so it only took two coats, less intense paint might need more.
  • Work quickly and smoothly to ensure nice crispy lines - clean off brush frequently 
  • Be sure to let coats dry before applying more
Tad-ah! My finished products:

 Ed!
 Tabitha, the octopus
 Lilly, who is hard to see but is a beautiful jellyfish.
Finally, Earl, the seapony. 

The only thing I would have done differently is using a dark drawing pencil which made keeping track of the lines easy but I couldn't erase the whole outline from Earl or Lilly which is not super noticeable but it annoys me.

Good luck! Send me your results!

No comments:

Post a Comment